Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Adventures with a Blender

Yesterday I made a hot breakfast beverage based on a favorite feel better food from childhood: milk toast. It was surprisingly good and satisfying. Enough such that I made it again this morning. If you've had and enjoyed milk toast, this tastes just like it! If you haven't had milk toast, you've been missing out. Recipe: 2 slices bread, 1 cup milk, 1 Tbsp sugar, 1 Tbsp butter. Toast bread. Butter bread then sprinkle sugar over the toast. Cut toast into quarters. Process toast in blender until finely chopped. Heat milk until scalded. Add milk to blender and mix until smooth. Enjoy!

This evening when I was craving a snack I turned to another feel better food from my childhood. Rather tired of the sweetness of smoothies and milkshakes, I wanted something light and refreshing for a change. I'm happy to report that Pear Cheese Salad in its blenderized form is quite tolerable. Not something I'd make if instead I could have it in solid form but a decent snack alternative to a milkshake. Recipe: 1/2 cups canned pears, 1/2 cup pear juice, 1/8 cup grated cheddar cheese, 1 Tbsp mayonnaise. Process cheese in blender until finely chopped, add remaining ingredients and blend until smooth.

As a certain smoothie company claims, "chewing is overrated."

No comments:

Post a Comment