Thursday, February 18, 2010

An Update and More Photos

I must be feeling better because I've been remiss in posting here lately. Here are a few more pictures to show where I am now. Last week at my 4-week post-op appointment my doctor advanced my diet such that I can now eat ground meats. As long as it does not require a lot of chewing I can eat anything, the exceptions being good bread and raw vegetables, both of which require lots of chew action.






02-16-10, 34-days post-op

I still have slight facial swelling, particularly around my nose. My face is also still a little tender to the touch where my lower jaw was screwed back together. I'm also still rather stuffed from sinus drainage. I can't wait for my lymph tissue to learn how to re-drain again!

Most of my stitches have fallen out or dissolved by now. Just a couple knots left behind the left end of my lower jaw. One of these days my toothbrush will drag those out. Last week my doctor pulled out the remaining knots along my upper jawline. While the stitches had dissolved the knots which were not embedded in tissue remained. He said those knots were what were keeping my incision a little sore. He was right though it hurt somewhat to have those knots pulled out. The good news is that my incision is pain free now.

As for the numbness, I'm still quite numb on the left side of my face, on the right side of my chin, in the corners of my lips, and on the right side of my lower lip. I have some sensation everywhere but those areas are still more numb than not. This means I can still drool or wear my food without even knowing it. Thankfully the right side of my face has regained sensation almost entirely, the exceptions being just below my eye and my lip and chin. My teeth however still have that wooden feel such that when I brush them it feels like I'm brushing the teeth of someone else. Hopefully they will feel like my own again soon.















02-12-10, 30 days post-op


02-07-10, 25 days post-op

1 comment:

  1. You look great! Congratulations on making it through the surgery and on your progressing recovery. Thanks for sending me your link - I've posted it in my sidebar. And love the blog URL you chose - too cute. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete